Monday, March 12, 2012

Seedlings Planting Seedlings

Friday I took Tessa to Meijer and told her she could pick out three seed packets to be her garden. She's really excited about this idea and has been telling everyone she is going to have her own garden. She also says she's going to be a farmer when she grows up and raise chickens that we can eat. That sounds like a good plan to me, as long as she has a little house on her farm for us to grow old in.


I told her she could pick anything with the exception of squash, cause we had those squash borer things in our zukes last year and apparently you have to wait a couple of years for them to die (hence my plan to do baby pumpkins in a big pot on the patio).

She chose mini sunflowers, zinnias and baby carrots. A nice mix of flora and fauna. Actually...I'm not sure what constitutes the word fauna. Carrots?

Since it looks like we won't have much more hard frost this year, we went ahead and planted the seeds even though it's a little early. I figure if they don't take, we'll plant more seeds later. Plus it's hard to keep a 4 year old patiently waiting for frost date. But I think they'll be fine.

She said she wants to measure them as they get bigger and keep a chart all summer, an idea she came up with on her own. Looks like I better get a little piece of poster board!


No comments: