Friday, March 05, 2010

Avo Sandwiches

If you need a quick kid meal and are tired of grilled cheese, here's an original for you. Both my kids love avocados. It was the first food for both of them, and to this day Tessa will polish one off with a spoon, straight out of the skin.

The great thing about avocados is that they are super nutritious. I once heard that if you were stranded somewhere and could only choose three foods to live on, you should choose lentils, spinach and avocados (sounds like a strange place to be stranded right?...can I have some ice cream too?)

I've been making grilled avocado sandwiches for Tessa since she was Charley's age. Often times she likes them better than grilled cheese.

the only ingredients you need

mash it up and spread
Myself, I would prefer some salt and fajita seasoning or maybe salsa mixed in...but let us not forget that kids tend to lean toward basic and bland flavors. Therefore they both like it plain, and I've yet to hear a complaint about lack of seasoning.

Avocados of course don't melt or anything so the grilling is just for added yumminess. It could be served on cold bread as well (although notably less tasty)



Slice it up and enjoy!
Charley gets a whole one too because I have to account for at least 1/3 of his food hitting the floor.

Big green lunchtime smile and everyone is satisfied

3 comments:

Stephany said...

oh my god this sounds so good - i want one now!!!

Eva said...

Ok, Laura I only had 20 minutes for dinner tonight so I made your Avo sandwich. I must say it was good!! Not as good as the original grilled cheese of course (but I'm partial) Thanks for the recipe!

phasejumper said...

Any tips for picking a good avocado?