Sunday, January 07, 2007

Sick + Pregnant= Sucks



I had a little sinus infection at 6 wks and have been the picture of health since. I was beginning to believe that the extra oxigenated blood and prenatal vitamins made me an inpenetrable fortress to the flu bugs that have been flying around.

Guess I was wrong. Jeremy was sick over Xmas break and though I was sure I wouldn't, I finally caught it around New Years. I've been battling it for about a week now and home sick since Thursday.

Granted I waited a little long to go to the docs, and being that my drug options basically include sudafed and tylenol, I was unpleasantly greeted with an 'oh my!' when doc looked in my throat. She thought I had strep but praise be to God I did not! Just a sinus infection/cold type thing. She gave me an antibiotic and perscribed more sudafed, more tylenol, and a very specific cough med that's okay for preggers.

I had big plans of waking up Saturday morning feeling good. We even got up and went for a walk. I was going to get my hair done and go to my cousins' (yes double plural as in twins) birthday party! The stitch in that plan is that I am allergic to pennicilin and have been for about 15 years. The antibiotic doc perscribed was a close cousin- but being that my options for other meds is small and doc really thought I should take it- and that the likelihood of reacting to it were 'very small'...I took 2 doses on Fri and 1 on Saturday morning.

After dose three I broke out in hives all over my legs. I knew right away what was happening- this is how I react to pennicilin. So ceased use of my wonder drug and cancelled my Saturday plans to instead heavily dope on Benadryl per doc's orders. Waah!

Doing a little better today but not perfect. Got a little too hot and dizzy in church this morning and came home to lay down- probably still fighting off the drug allergy as I have two big hives still on the back of my legs. Jeremy left for CA this afternoon- his first business trip since the beginning of December.

I'm hungry for the first time in about 4 days- waiting for my dinner delivery :-O

I gotta say even though I've been mopey and depressed about being so sick- I've got to remember that I am still blessed with a very healthy pregnancy and baby- so I have no room to complain!! Pebbles continues to dance- she must feel better than I do :)

Ciao! LB

No comments: