Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Birth "Plan" rough draft

Now I know the idea of a birth "plan" is kinda funny, because nobody has a real plan for what's going to happen (except God!). But everyone says it's good to take one to our doctor, and also to the hospital for the staff to follow.

We are planning to review this with the doc next week (the yes/no is for him to respond). So I guess you could say in an ideal world where everything is perfect and sunny, this is the way we would like it to happen.

What do you think...good, crazy? Ambitious for sure!! Watch- I will have to be medically induced, end up taking every drug they give me and have to have a c-section. But hey, if that happens we will have to be flexible. As long as Pebbles gets out healthy and happy right??


ATTENDANTS AND AMENITIES
I'd like the following people to be allowed during early/transitional labor:
Yes No • Partner: Jeremy Bennington
Yes No • Friend/s: Erin Brenton
Yes No • Relative/s: Terri and Terry Sargent (parents)
• Relative/s: Any other relatives present at hospital


I'd like the following people to be allowed during hard labor/birth:
Yes No • Partner Only : Jeremy Bennington


I'd also like:
Yes No • To bring music
Yes No • To dim the lights

LABOR
Yes No I'd like the option of returning home if I'm not in active labor


Once I'm admitted, I'd like:
Yes No • My partner to be allowed to stay with me at all times
Yes No • To eat if I wish to
Yes No • To stay hydrated by drinking clear fluids instead of an IV
Yes No • To have a heparin or saline lock


As long as the baby and I are doing fine, I'd like:
Yes No • To have intermittent rather than continuous fetal onitoring
Yes No • To move about freely if possible
Yes No • To be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits
If they're available, I'd like to try:
Yes No • A birthing pool/tub (for comfort not waterbirth)


I'd like to bring the following birthing equipment with me:
Yes No • Other: yoga ball
When it's time to push, I'd like to:
Yes No • Do so instinctively


I'd like to try the following positions for pushing (and birth):
Yes No • Semi-reclining
Yes No • Side-lying position
Yes No • Squatting
Yes No • Whatever feels right at the time
Yes No As long as my baby and I are doing fine, I'd like the pushing stage to be allowed to progress free of stringent time limits

PAIN RELIEF
I'd like to try the following pain-management techniques:
Yes No • Bath/shower
Yes No • Breathing techniques/distraction
Yes No • Massage
Yes No Please don't offer me pain medication. I'll request it if I need it.

If I decide I want medicinal pain relief, I'd prefer:
Yes No • Regional analgesia (an epidural and/or spinal block)
Yes No • No Analgesic medication such as Demoral
Yes No • Would like to explore use of a pudendal block rather than epidural

VAGINAL BIRTH
I'd like:
Yes No • The room to be as quiet as possible
Yes No • To try perineal massage before assuming need for episiotomy
Yes No • To risk a tear rather than have an episiotomy


After birth, I'd like:
Yes No • To hold my baby right away, putting off any procedures that aren't urgent
Yes No • To breastfeed as soon as possible
Yes No • My partner to cut the umbilical cord

C-SECTION
If I have a c-section, I'd like:
Yes No • My partner present at all times during the operation
Yes No • The baby given to my partner as soon as he's dried (as long as he's in good health)
Yes No • To breastfeed my baby in the recovery room

POSTPARTUM
After delivery, I'd like:
Yes No • To stay in a private room
Yes No • To have a cot provided for my partner


I plan to:
Yes No • Breastfeed exclusively
The following can be offered to my baby:
Yes No • Please don't offer formula, sugar water or pacifier to my baby at any point

If my baby's a boy:
Yes No • I'd like him circumcised at the hospital.

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

Hey, I say go for it, just as long as you don't give yourself a hard time if you don't follow through with all your plans!! :)