Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Best Job Ever

I wanted to share this article about stay at home motherhood. I'm sharing it because I myself have been asked....but what do you DO all day? For their own protection I won't name the source of that question.

I'm not saying that to be defensive or snarky, but it does make me laugh. Haha...what do I NOT do? Yes we have lots of activities and there's also lots of cooking and butt wiping but I love the way the responder describes it "constant vigilance, constant touch, constant use of your voice, constant relegation of your needs to the second tier".

Are constant vigilance, discipline, teaching, etc really necessary to stay at home parenthood?? Well I guess not. I guess we could watch tv all day, not learn any manners, eat cereal for dinner and waller in our own filthy laundry. That would work (and actually some days it does)...but I think that works under the assumption that that parent is staying home simply to keep the child alive and avoid day care costs.

Those are not the reasons that I am home. first of all I'm lucky enough to be able to do it. Secondly, I'm here to teach my kids and help form their early lives, to enjoy them while I still can, to be provide a nice home for partner while he performs as leader of our family (yes you read that right).

There's no need to list the things I do all day but the list is long and the hours never-ending. Also the best job ever.



For whatever reason I could not make this bigger. Click on the image to read it.

3 comments:

phasejumper said...

Great post! Bonus points for using word "waller"!

TLS said...

Good article! I'm glad you are able to stay home....and I know how busy you are each day! I was lucky to have summers as a stay-at-home-mom....some of my best memories! :)

Amanda said...

Love this post. I love what you said about providing a good home for your husband and partner. That is so lost in our society...

You rock my socks, woman! Keep up the good work!