Monday, January 31, 2011

The Making of a Dino Cake

You all know Erin, blog regular, friend since 4th grade and mommy to beautiful baby Aviana. She is also my resident cake expert and creator of this masterpiece and this one too.


I invited her to help me make a dinosaur cake for Charley's birthday, and man did we put in some long hours. Mostly because we made ALOT of cake, and also because we had one or two snafoos (did you know that using Pam does not work on a nonstick cake pan...I do now).


All in all our cakes were FABULOUS. Thank you Auntie Erin!





We started with some cupcakes. Dinos standing in green grass. I guess not all of the kids got the message that you could keep them, as I'm still finding dinos stashed around the house.




messy kitchen in progress




It was my sister in law Becky's birthday too so we made her a snowflake cake. Erin makes that look too easy.

The kids were dying to help us so we made them their own little cake to destroy...I mean decorate.

As the evening drug on Erin put me in charge of decorating the remaining cupcakes while she worked on the dino himself. We were out of green so I made these. Can you believe Erin and Jeremy made fun of my artistic skills?

(Actually what they mostly made fun of was me trying to utlized the Wilton tips and shooting icing all over the place. Do you wonder why I was for Erin's help? )

Using a template from Betty Crocker we turned two 9in round cakes into a dino!


The finished cake spread. Gorgeous.

Charley did not want to wait for his party guests. We had to hold him off with leftover hershey kisses.

Fully approved by the birthday boy and all his friends!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe how grown up he's getting. I wish we could have been their.Hopefully we see you in late Feb.Love you guys.
Amanda