Friday, April 23, 2010

I Continue to Fall Apart

We all know my teeth are falling apart, and now my spine appears to be too. The fall down the stairs appears to have been a blessing in disguise (or as I like to think- the holy spirit giving me a good heave ho).

Yesterday I got chiropractic xrays and this morning had my first consult and adjustment with my chiropractor who I like very very much. He is my new best friend (sorry Erin).

Needless to say there's alot wrong with me and he says many of my back injuries are very old. He asked if my lower back and neck always hurt and I said yes of course....but I'm fat and carry around two kids all day, is it not supposed to hurt? Apparently not.

So here's the highlight reel

--between L5 and S1 (doc words, basically my lower back) I have 60% cartilage loss. He said had I not gotten into see him I would be looking at back surgery at age 40. How did this happen? Old injuries from a million years ago left untreated.
--I have 4 subluxations which means the discs are mis-aligned but can be fixed
--My spine curves to the right and is not straight
--I have a deep curve in my neck and two of those vertebrae are also touching
-- My duck feet don't directly hurt my back but I should look into orthodic shoes. Really?...Granny shoes at age 30. But I love flip flops. I dunno, that's going to be a hard one for me.

I'm going see him for adjustments 3x per week for a month just to treat the pain, and then once a week for a while after that. Thankfully all covered by insurance. I also need to buy one of these bad boys
Yes that's right, I will hang upside down for 10 minutes every day in order to correct that cartilage loss and avoid back surgery. Sounds crazy but apparently it really works.

And lastly, he has ordered me to stop training for the Indy 500 mini-marathon and not complete it. I'm causing more harm than good at this point. Damnit! Argh!!! Sonofabiscuit!

He said with the inversion table and a year's worth of back care he can have me running the mini next year and then I just laughed. Me, run, haha. He says I will also feel better and have more energy and vitality and all that good stuff. Maybe lose weight?...God I hope so!

He said he was surprised I hadn't come in for pain relief even before the fall and marveled that I could make it through my pregnancies. But my back and neck have always hurt, so maybe I just don't pay attention to it.

I don't know. I just know getting old sucks!

1 comment:

BrookZ said...

I hope you get to feeling better, I have had back pain for years- I know I should probably make an adjustment appointment but I am afraid to! Let me know how it goes.