Monday, June 01, 2009

Lockdown Postponed a Day

We start tomorrow! Today we had to go to the doc's to check out Charley's cough and since Tessa had a fever yesterday I took her too. Turns out Charley is fine (just a cold, no meds) but Tessa has an ear infection. I wondered if that's what it was because she had no other symptoms, just a fever.

It's a mild one so we got some drugs and went home. Since this is only her third ear infection the doc didn't even need her to come back for a follow up (unless I feel she needs it of course).

So tomorrow starts potty training lockdown! I rented a bunch of Disney classics like Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty, got some art projects and bought all the food we'll need. Assuming she's feeling better tomorrow we'll start with no diapers, a timer set for every 30 min that means it's time to sit on the potty, and a bottle of stain remover for the carpet.

I'm actually really looking forward to lockdown week. It seems strange to say, but we are always so busy going somewhere...stroller aerobics, library, museum, shopping, small group, church, MOPS...I don't know that we've ever had a full week at home except the week that Charley was born.

If we do succeed at (daytime) potty training, the transition back to our activities may be shaky at first, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there. I'd prefer not to buy pull ups at all, but may get a couple of pairs of cloth training pants, I haven't decided.

A byproduct of the lockdown plan was a conversation about our budget and tendency to overspend in the area of groceries and eating out. If you wonder how I know our specific overspending habits, you clearly haven't seen Jeremy graphs and charts.

We have resolved to do a better job with menu planning and using everything we have in the freezer and pantry before buying something else. It seems easy but with all the other things on my mind, I guess I just don't think about it as much as I should. Because of lockdown, we actually planned a full week menu of three meals a day that includes NO eating out or trips to the grocery store...pretty impressive.

2 comments:

Stephany said...

ahhh J's a graph man too - he and adam should get together and compare financial spending!!
ha!
make a freezer and pantry inventory - we did that and i always know what's in the house when i plan my menus and it's been saving us tons of $$$

AJL said...

Laura-- I really like the Six-O'Clock Scramble www.thescramble.com

For $5.00 a month you have access to a huge network of recipes. They are healthy, kid friendly, and quick. Plus once you plan your "meal plan" it will create a grocery list for you. That in itself is worth the $5.00 because you will save yourself all kinds of cash by not buying things that aren't on your list. The recipes also have all the nutritional info on them, which would be helpful with your WW stuff.

You should check it out. It is really great.