Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Not A Drop

Well I'm going to take a moment to pat us on the back because we have officially hit the one year mark and Tessa has never had a drop of formula. Yay for us! I'm not meaning to dog on anyone who chooses to formula feed. Formula is fine for those who choose it, but being that we did not, I find reason to celebrate our full year of sucessful breastfeeding!

I was initially surprised at how easy it came to us (I know it doesn't come easy to all), and how much I enjoyed it. I think there are very few things that feel as natural and important, especially before 6 months when it was her only sustaining food. I was blessed with a good nurser, as well as the time and ability to do it every day. I know women who pump every day at work and I commend you, that would not be easy to keep up for a year.

Tessa still nurses 5 times a day right now in addition to her regular food and it's time to start weaning soon. We have her 1 yr well check next week and I am going to ask the doc about how much cow's milk she should have to replace the breastmilk, then we will cut out one feeding a week until they are gone :(

I told Jeremy I think I'm going to have to enforce 'cuddle time' when she's done nursing, because it's currently the only time she will let me hold her still for more than 30 seconds, and I will miss that part the most.

btw Tessa is currently enjoying nakey time in the living room. It's part of our nightly routine now and helps alot with her diaper rash. I could seriously watch her walk around nakey all day, it's so funny, especially that little bum.

2 comments:

BrookZ said...

yeahhhhh for you!!!! i SO wish i was at home so i could have made it a year but hey 6 months was pretty darn good!! :) i loved it and i miss it still!!!

Stephany said...

Congratulations for you on the 1 year of breast feeding that's fantastic! I don't think I would be able to do that!

You are so lucky to have such a wonderful husband that you are able to stay home and be with Tessa full time - I envy you for that!